2017 Junior Summer Sculling Programs
!!! Meet our coaches !!!
- Ali Brooks: Ali is a ski instructor at Big Sky, MT, and an outdoor trip leader in the Whites. Ali coached Junior Sculling & Racing last summer, and we hear kids are excited to have her back.
- Casey Kelsey: Casey learned to row in high school at St. Paul's, rowed at Brown, and now is Head Coach of Girl's Crew at Choate.
- Grace Hollowell: "I currently am an Assistant Coach for Dartmouth Women's Crew, and have coached at the high school, D3, and D1 level. When not coaching, I can be found cooking, hiking, or eating sour gummy worms."
- Heidi Robbins: "Hi! I'm Heidi and am thrilled to be returning to the Upper Valley and the beautiful CT River to begin medical school in August. I've spent the last 8 years in Princeton, NJ, graduating from college in 2013 and training since then with the US National Team. I loved coaching Mercer/Princeton National Rowing Association juniors and look forward to sharing my rowing enthusiasm with UVRF folks!"
- Erika Dade: A lot older than Ali, Casey, Grace and Heidi, but equally passionate about rowing. Oh, and she has coached at Hanover High and UVRF for 7 years.
In sculling, each rower holds 2 oars and rows in small boats. UVRF owns many sculling boats, including singles (one person), doubles (2 person), and quads (4 person) that are available to club members under certain conditions. If you are already a sweep rower, sculling is an excellent way to develop boat "feel," balance and technical skills. In addition to the programs listed below, that are exclusively for juniors aged 14-22, the club offers Learn-to-Scull clinics for first-time rower-scullers and Free Sweep-to-Scull clinics for experienced sweep rowers.
Junior Club Members have the privilege of using club singles and doubles throughout the summer season on their own IF they have the requisite level of certification following the club sculling policies, and do at least one of the following:
- pay the Club Sculling Equipment Fee - offered to juniors at $100 for the entire season, or
- register for a Sweep Program (Leb Crew or Fall Junior Racing), or
- register for a Junior Sculling Clinics (see below) or a Learn-to-Scull Program (must become a member after program, if not already one) or
- register for Intermediate Coached Sculling Sessions
- pay for rented rack space.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON CLUB SCULLING POLICIES AND PROCEDURES, PLEASE VISIT THE "SCULLING" SECTION OF THE UVRF WEBSITE.
GOT QUESTIONS ABOUT JUNIOR PROGRAMS AT UVRF? ASK YOUR REPS or EMAIL THE CLUB !!
Cate Rooney, HHS, UVRF Junior Rep <
Bri Hibner, LHS, UVRF Junior Rep <
Totally new to rowing?
Sign up for a Learn-to-Scull 2-day clinic or email us to inquire about semi-private lessons.
GOT QUESTIONS? EMAIL
Sculling Taster ~~~ Sweep, but never sculled? Come give it a try!
Sculling makes you a better sweep rower - want to try? Row in a double scull with another experienced junior sculler and see what the excitement is all about. Come give it a go on one of these evenings, and get a tour of the Fuller Boathouse too. If you like it, you might want to sign up for one of the week-long clinics below. Upon completion of a clinic and demonstration of your safe-rowing skills, you can then scull all summer with your friends in singles and doubles. You do not need to be a member of UVRF to try it out in these Sculling Tasters! You will need to sign a liability waiver (or have a parent/guardian sign one if you are under 18). You can find the 2017 USRowing Waiver in the Documents section of our website. You must bring the signed copy with you to the Sculling Taster or no row!
Sign up in advance for this FREE fun sculling intro HERE
NO sculling experience required for these evening samplers.
~~~ Mon June 12 ~~~ (
Mon June 19 - Canceled due to thunderstorms)
Time: 4:30-6:00pm Coaches: Bri, Cate and Erika
Bonus: There might be FOOD involved.
GOT QUESTIONS? EMAIL Bri, Cate or the club
Summer Junior Sculling Clinics - 1 week each (except for S&S Racing clinic)
For experienced rowers. You must have at least one season of high school rowing under your belt or permission from the coach (email club). No sculling experience required (except for the race clinics). UVRF Junior Membership is a prequisite. Ages: 14-22
If you have any questions about which clinic is appropriate, please email
Clinic 1: Jun 26-30 Mon-Fri morning, 7:30-9:00am
Coach: Erika Dade Max: 8 Cost: $125
Clinic 2: July 3-15 Sweeps&Sculls 2-Week Race Prep, Mon-Fri EVENING, 5:00-6:30pm
Coach: Ali Brooks Max: 8 Cost: $250+$30 race fees
Experienced scullers only. Competing at Sweeps&Sculls in Providence, RI, Sat 7/15
Clinic 3: July 17-21 Mon-Fri morning, 7:30-9:00am
Coach: Ali Brooks Max: 8 Cost: $125
Clinic 4: July 24-29 Methuen Sprints 1-Week Race Prep, Mon-Fri EVENING, 5:00-6:30pm
Coach: Heidi Robbins Max: 8 Cost: $125+$30 race fees
Experienced scullers only. Competing at Methuen City Sprints in Essex, MA, Sat 7/29
Clinic 5: July 31-Aug 4 Mon-Fri morning, 7:30-9:00am
Coach: Casey Kelsey Max: 8 Cost: $125
Clinic 6: Aug 7-11 Mon-Fri morning, 7:30-9:00am
Coach: Casey Kelsey Max: 8 Cost: $125
Clinic 7: Aug 14-18 Mon-Fri morning, 7:30-9:00am
Coach: Grace Hollowell Max: 8 Cost: $125
UVRF Scholarships are available upon confidential application. Just email
to receive info and application form.